Estrogen Dominance…The How and Why?
Estrogen Dominance….How and Why?
Sex hormones such as estrogen and progesterone gradually decline with age. During the perimenopausal and menopausal years there can be a drastic change in the rate of decline. From age 35 to 50, there is approximately a 75% reduction in progesterone and a 35% reduction in estrogen. Due to this more gradual decline in estrogen compared to progesterone, there tends to be an insufficient amount of progesterone to counteract the estrogen in our body. This imbalance can produce a number of symptoms and conditions.
Symptoms Caused by Estrogen Dominance:
- My breasts are swollen and getting bigger.
- I can’t put my rings on my fingers.
- I am more impatient now than ever.
- People tell me I am too bossy.
- I am getting cramps again like when I was younger.
- I no longer get my period.
- I miss my periods regularly.
- My periods come irregularly.
- I get scared when I see large clots during my period.
- I have Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS).
- When I get a hug, my breasts hurt.
- I have fibroids.
- I have endometriosis.
- I cannot fit into my shoes.
- I have a cyst in my breast.
- I feel tired all the time.
Causes of Estrogen Dominance:
- Exposure to xenoestrogens
- Commercially raised poultry
- Industrial solvents
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: especially when estrogen is given without sufficient
- Overproduction of estrogen
- Chronic stress
- Liver disease
- Excessive sugar intake
- Excessive coffee consumption
- Excessive intake of sugar
- Anovulation (lack of ovulation) that can occur with aging
- Fibrocystic Breasts
- Pre-menopausal syndrome
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Breast Cancer
So what can be done?
There are treatments for Estrogen Dominance which include weight loss, stress reduction, supporting healthy estrogen metabolism with certain nutrients, detoxification, utilizing natural progesterone, improving gut function, eating organic and avoiding environment xenoestrogens.